Friday, August 15, 2008

rare avian appearance

Roger and I are fond of watching and feeding our backyard birds; and while we enjoy watching the antics of even commonly seen birds like starlings, it's always a thrill to see something new or rarely spotted.

Today I saw an Oriole for the first time outside of a picture in a book. I was on the phone at the time, but nearly dropped it when I looked out the window and spotted a bird with the unmistakable orange and black coloring of a male Baltimore Oriole. He rooted about on a rose bush (for rose hips, perhaps?) for several minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photograph. In the meantime, you'll just have to settle for this painting by James Audubon:


The Oriole is one of the birds Roger and I always joke as being a myth, because, while they are supposedly quite common, we've never seen one (possibly because, according to our books, they stay high up in trees) until now.

Still on our list of mythical birds are Eastern Bluebirds and Pileated Woodpeckers. Yeah, we will believe it when we see them.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Very pretty - and accordingly you are forgiven for droppong the phone while talking to me on my brand new iPhone. How do you work this darn thing anyways. Help! No it is not intuitive. Need help on how to sync Google calendar with iPhone. Yours, Mr. Techically Challenged

purlewe said...

as a person who has seen all 3 of your mythical creatures I can say.. each was a surprise and a delight and I'll admit.. I almost plotzed at each one. They are really some of the most pretty birds I ahve ever seen. And yes, I ahve only seen each of them once.