Sunday, August 24, 2008

frog at the door

We were away camping overnight. When we returned home at about 2:00 PM, there was a little guest waiting for us at the front door:
This little tree frog decided to hunker down against the door frame for the day, right next to our storm door handle.

I knew there were tree frogs around the yard because we would hear their songs nearby every evening; but I never saw one before. I would guess, in part, that's because if one were clinging to their normal habitat of the bark of a tree, it would look like nothing more than a spot of moss. Maybe they're usually a bit higher off the ground too, although I can't say that for certain.

This little guy (about 2 inches long) must've been acting under the assumption his camouflage was still in effect. He remained motionless in my presence when I took his picture; and even when I ventured to gently touch his back he didn't blink, but only wriggled at tiny bit, as if fighting the urge to freak out and flee. His skin felt soft and cool.
We left him there to do whatever tree frogs do. I assume he was waiting until evening to come when he would become active again. He was gone the next time I checked at 7:00 PM.

Not your typical frog. I think he has a certain alien look; but at the same time, being part of the amphibian clan, still cute as a button, if you ask me.

2 comments:

purlewe said...

invisibility cloak: ur doing it wrong.

Breenlantern said...

Maybe he just wanted to get stroked by a cute bear :-)