Ok; I’ve been trying to think of something interesting to write for my big blog return, but nothing exciting keeps happening. Roger’s been away in South Africa, and it’s been pretty darn quiet here.
A few days ago it snowed overnight for the first time here. I had thought about taking a snapshot that morning, but didn’t. And by the time early afternoon came around the snow had half melted away and didn’t look very pretty. Even at it’s best, it wasn’t very scenic. The tips of the grass, which are still quite green, poked through everywhere. It was a scene more reminiscent of frozen peas rather than a holiday postcard.
I only found out later that bloggers are for some reason required to include a photo of their first snowfall in their blogs. (At least that’s what I’ve read on Sean's blog.) So I guess I fell down on the job.
It did snow again another night. Maybe. I’m not sure. All I know is on the following morning there was a layer of slush on our driveway.
So then I thought about writing about my adventures with the snow blower. We have a long driveway, and we share it with our neighbor. So I kinda felt like I should get out there and clean it up (even though they hadn’t done anything.)
So I got out the snow blower. Well that didn’t work. It’s supposed to fling snow through the air in a graceful arc to the side of the driveway. Not so with slush. Instead of a graceful arc, I got extruded wet semisolid brown cylinders of ice that plopped to the side. It looked kind of like, uh, Play-Doh coming out of a Play-Doh Factory. (You thought I was going to say something else didn’t you?)
Note to self: Snow blowers do not blow slush.
So I missed my photographic opportunity with the snow. But it turns out the pumpkins on our front doorstep still have a pretty glaze of ice on them:
Looks like sugar. Yummy!
Ok so you’re probably wondering why we still have pumpkins on our front step long after we put Christmas lights up on the house. Well, I think this says lots about me, actually. You see, I’m very attached to these pumpkins; and pumpkins in general. I don’t I don’t know what it is about them. Perhaps it’s because they’re my favorite color (yes, it’s true!); or that I love pumpkin pie; or that they’re just so darned cute!
More than that, I think I just don’t want to let go to the best part of Autumn. I wish the time around Halloween wasn’t so fast and fleeting. I want to go back to the cool (not cold) temperatures, and colors on the trees. All that just seems to happen in the blink of an eye.
Then it’s Christmas for about two months.
More than that, I think I just don’t want to let go to the best part of Autumn. I wish the time around Halloween wasn’t so fast and fleeting. I want to go back to the cool (not cold) temperatures, and colors on the trees. All that just seems to happen in the blink of an eye.
Then it’s Christmas for about two months.
3 comments:
I had something for lunch yesterday that I think you'll like (I did). I don't know what its called, but its essentially a "pumpkin fritter". I'll make some when I get home!
Welcome back !! Like your new smile photo ! It snowed in philly too but here in center city only resulted in wet payments.
i'm absolving you of your non-first snow of the season pic post because i think the frosted pumpkins pic is fabulous!!!!!
Post a Comment