Friday, December 7, 2007

silly squirrels

This is old news from last month, but I thought I should post it on my blog for posterior, uh, posterity – and I’ve included a follow-up..

Just outside our back window is a homemade bird feeder the previous owners left behind. It looks like a little cabin with a front porch on which birds visit and dine. We recently started filling it and have received lots of visits from birds and even a stray chipmunk. That was before the squirrels discovered it:

Unfortunately I didn't capture what would have been the perfect snapshot: A chickadee landed on the little porch roof and peered down despairingly at the squirrel butt occupying what had formerly been a fine dining establishment.

Update:

We have since added a squirrel feeder (yes, we're crazy) on the same post underneath the bird feeder; under the delusion that it will somehow divert the squirrels from raiding the cabin. The squirrel feeder has a little lid that the fluffy-tailed rats can lift to access the nuts. Now squirrels are supposed to be pretty smart; especially when it comes to getting food. But so far our squirrels haven't figured it out. The cabin feeder is empty. (Don't worry, the birds have another, better feeder that the squirrels can't get to.) Meanwhile the squirrel feeder remains as full as it was when we put it out a few weeks ago.

Here’s a photo of a clueless squirrel noodling around the cabin while a whole cache of untouched goodies sits just a few feet below:


No comments: