Thursday, January 22, 2009

Food for thought

The stimulating conversation continues at my workplace. This morning's topic regards an ethical dilemma: If you get drunk and break your best friend's chair (by punching it), and your friend asks you to pay for the broken chair, doesn't the chair then belong to you?

Food for thought, eh?

5 comments:

A Lewis said...

I guess if he asked you to pay for the REPAIR of the chair, then it's still his...you're simply restoring it back to the condition it was in before you hit it. But if he asks you to pay for the entire cost of the chair, then I guess it'd be yours. Hum. Now I'm confused.

Breenlantern said...

I always ask myself "WWJSD?" (What Would Jerry Springer Do?")

purlewe said...

and my response would be all whaaaaat?

Mark said...

My such "profound" discussions you have at work. If I am so immature that I get drunk an smash things - better that spend the money and I get some help. If it was an accident - a good friend would not ask me to pay. If I smashed the chair instead of the friend - perhaps the friendship is in trouble. If I am randomly destroying things, I am responsible. See - how learning pastoral counseling is affecting me.

Dan said...

I hardly think you need pastoral counseling training to know such things. Just a little common sense would do. But try telling that to an immature young alcoholic person in denial.