First, a little drama to set the mood:
Now the news: Friday at work I was told this week will be my last. I certainly knew this day would come, but perhaps it is a little sooner than I expected. And, in spite of anything I've expressed about the strangeness of my work environment, I never dreaded returning to this job each day, and I'm sad that it will be over soon. It's been my first decent, regular job in a long time, and I'll miss the feeling of routine, responsibility and, yes, even belonging. It's true it can be unnerving to know that the world is populated by ignorant, crazy and rude people; but it is also good to know that I can learn to laugh and maintain sanity among them.
On a more unhappy note, I'm not sure how I was chosen to be cut at this time; but it would appear that, as far as I know, I am the first to get the axe; and I'm left wondering why. Unlike many of my coworkers, I never called in sick; rarely talked; never disturbed others; never balked when given a task, no matter how menial; made very few mistakes; and always volunteered for more work when I had nothing to do. The only thing I can think of was that I didn't agree to work overtime every single time I was asked.
So when I told the people who sat in my aisle that I was being cut, I was expecting some of them to say "me too" or "so is what-his-name." Instead, they stared at me in open-mouthed disbelief and said they couldn't beleive it was me first. It was a bittersweet moment to realize, when it comes to the end, that I had actually earned some kind of respect from the very people who I thought would care or notice the least. I realized then that I would've done okay there for a much longer time than just a few months.
It's going to be a weird week. I suspect I will be expected to engaged more than ever in the Jerry Springer-esque conversations; and I'll feel torn more than ever between biting my tongue and just letting it all hang out (which is, after all, what everyone else there seems to do, isn't it?) So should I enter the lion's den; or watch, like I always do, at a safe distance?
Either way, I also realize now I will soon be missing such a rich source of trashy blog fodder!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I think it is 100% appropriate for you to approach your "axing" supervisor and ask, for future reference, why you were the first to be cut, explaining as you did, above, that you thought you were one of the more dedicated employees and, although you knew the job was temporary, you're surprised that you're the first to go. You also can say you want to know if you would be asked back in the future (and could you use them as a reference for other jobs?) I also think you should go quietly, and not engage in any behavior you haven't before, in the event an opportunity comes to return to this job. No burnt bridges, know what I mean?I think this whole thing sux ass and I'm sorry that, once again in the state, hard work and dedication is not rewarded and dumbass slacking is :-(
Thanks,
I agree that changing my tune at work now wouldn't be a good idea; it was a proposal made more in jest. I prefer to continue behaving in a professional manner, regardless of the circumstances.
I'm so sorry to hear about your news....I know how good it has been for you to belong, and have the routine of going to work....we all need that. And Sean has said it best...it is difficult to know what to change in the future if you don't know what you've done wrong. And, maybe...possibly....there's nothing that's been done wrong. I'm sure you're an exemplary employee. And I already know that you're a great guy. It's odd that I was in Albany on your first day of work last October and that I'm here again this week...weird.
Thanks... If I believed in luck, I'm certain your presense here could only be the cause of good things, not bad.
so sorry sweetie, you deserve better.
I agree with sean about asking the supervisor. I am blue about your temp job saying goodbye.. but I hope this means there are things on the horizon for you.
and I will also say i am sad yet happy you will be down for a visit. I cannot wait to see you.
Sorry to hear this news, Dan. Your cats will probably think this is a good thing.
Post a Comment