Saturday, November 1, 2008

an unearlthy root

I unearthed this while digging in the garden today:


So what in Creation is this thing? Was this some ritually disemboweled internal organ, buried by a practitioner of the Dark Arts in the darkest hour of Halloween last night?

No - This is vegetable in nature, not animal.

Is it a mandrake root, which, according to legend, will scream if pulled, the sound of which will kill anyone who hears it?

No - No screams were heard, and I assure you, I'm still quite alive, as far as I can tell.

Well, you may recall this peculiar plantscape from a previous post:

This is what the plant looked like up top a few months ago (after being attacked by beetles.)

I guess it should not be so surprising that a strange-looking plant would produce an even stranger-looking root. The plant is called a sweet potato vine, but I wouldn’t guarantee that if you baked this unearthly root and ate it that it would taste very sweet, let alone be anything less than deadly poisonous.

Honestly, I don’t trust the looks of it. Is it me, or does it not look sort of alien?

See what I mean?

;-)

6 comments:

Breenlantern said...

I'm pretty sure that's my colon......

Drew_B52 said...

It's a rare but deadly red, giant, one eyed snaggletoothed sperm cell.

Dan said...

Hmm, yes, it is somewhat spermlike. And also scarlet pink elephantish in a disturbed Dr. Seussian sort of way.

Alan said...

I think it's Sean's colon too (not that I've ever seen it, but...)

purlewe said...

wow. isn't it crazy what nature creates???

Mark said...

Maybe it is a "sign" regarding my gallbladder that I just learned has to be removed.