It's Sunday night. Roger and I were in the car this evening, driving home in the rain. Roger was at the wheel and I thought about how safe and comfortable it felt in my seat in our little gray Beetle, protected from dark and the rain and conflict and chaos of the world outside; and I wished I could close my eyes and somehow suspend that moment in time and stay there in the car for as long I cared - forever, if I so desired. But we had things to do to get ready for the new week. I may have been sitting still, but like it or not, the car continued to carry us towards tomorrow.

It has been said that the joy in life comes not so much from reaching a destination as the path towards it; but I never seem to have a destination, let alone much in the way of joy. I wonder almost every day; What is it I am missing?
Still I live for love and friendship, for my cats, my mother, and for Roger especially, who cares so much more for me than I do myself; and for moments of wonder and beauty too, even if it's just watching lights shimmering on a rainy highway.
(Photos taken with my iPhone.)
6 comments:
I know those feelings...they hit...they strike....they feel so good, so safe and comfortable. And we never want them to end. It's a good place to be. I'm happy for you...and Roger. And the Beetle.
Thanks Arnie, Though I'm afraid I have to say there was more bitter than sweet about that moment. Shows you how point of view makes a difference. I wish I could take your reality and make it my own; unfortunately it's not like I can go flip a switch. Wish I could. But thanks, just the same.
Sometimes finding the extraordinary in the ordinary is the best way to find meaning when there seems none: lights glittering in the rain...a faithful partner...a feeling of physical safety, comfort and security.
I think we need to find and make our own purpose. Waiting for a purpose to come to us is a recipe for disappointment and endless longing.
You are posting more and sharing some wonderful words and thoughts and images and I am truly enjoying it. Perhaps by exploring your thoughts and feelings here you may find answers you seek through the sharing and examining of your life, no matter how miniscule or unimportant these moments may seem to you at the time.
You are a wealth of knowledge, ideas, beliefs emotions and experiences, Dan. Your existence has value to yourself, your friends, your partner, your pets, your plants, your family, your blog readers, your co-workers, your neighbors and the universe. Seeking purpose is valuable, but seeking value in your life is pointless: because the fact that you exist makes you valauable, and you are more connected to the people and the world around you than you realize. Your journey continues, both the highs and the lows, but never doubt for one minute that your voice is any less important or valuable to the chorus of humanity than everyone elses. You matter in ways you will never realize. And you matter to me - now and always.
Wishing you more moments of peace and feelings of connectedness and purpose throughout your day, week, month, year and life.
Ditto to Sean's comments - he did a wonderful job of expressing thoughts that I also would like to convey to you. Hugs
Thank you, guys.
you never ceased to amaze me with your depth of feeling and insight. thanks for sharing it. and thanks for returning to the blog. i missed it. and FB doesn't even come close.
Post a Comment