Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fool's interview follow-up

Yesterday's interview probably won't amount to much, I'm afraid. The Dept of Taxation required applicants to provide to-the-month detail of every job and period of unemployment since high school right there on the spot. Any innacuracies, they said, would be checked for, and those applicants not providing a complete and accurate history would be moved to the "bottom of the pile." I suppose the Dept of Taxation's reasoning is it wants to make sure their applicants paid all of their taxes. But it's an absurd request, considering all of my temporary on-and-off positions and jobs from 20+ years ago. I don't even have records at home for the work I did prior to my last job of 18 years in Philadelphia. I didn't think anyone would care. I know at least two of the places I worked for are now out of business.

As for the collection of other applicants there, they might not have had as much of a challenge, as they all appeared to be fresh-out-of school and more than half my age. Maybe this is a sly way of weeding out the old folks?

Just as well; I did not learn until I got there that the position was only temporary, and consisted of answering phone calls from irate and frustrated tax payers. Not to sound picky, but while I may not have been successful finding a permanent job, I've found much better than this in temp work.

So it was after all, in essense, a joke. April Fool's on me.

1 comment:

A Lewis said...

Oh boy. So, did you have your list of absenses prepared? A year in the south of France, six months washing the Queen's panties in London, a few months doing porn films in Eastern Europe with those hot boys, etc etc. Life can get so busy..it's hard to keep track of all of our time.