My cold is still here, and it’s slowed me down a bit. Still, I’m trying to keep busy. My big project for now is to paint the one continuous wall that defines entryway, stairway and upstairs hall of our house. It’s a job that’s been waiting to be finished ever since we first purchased the house and stripped down the awful vinyl wallpaper that was there.
Surprisingly, under that single layer was the six-decade old original bare plaster walls of the house. It seems almost a crime to paint what has never been painted for sixty years; but the alternative (re-wallpapering) is simply not an option.
Even so, it’s going to be a big job. So far this week has been mostly preparation: putting up masking tape, etc. I might wait until my breathing gets better before I start opening cans of primer and paint.
Of course, the first big hurdle in any painting project is picking a color. It’s hard for Roger and I to agree on something in the first place; but even then, house paint colors can be tricky: when we have what looks like the perfect color on a little sample card, it ends looking a WHOLE lot different when it fills up the walls of an entire room. We’ve learned the hard way to choose the lighter and more muted version of what we think we would like, because the colors tend to look darker and more intense in the end.
This particular project is further complicated by the fact that the area I’ll be painting borders on almost every other room in the house, so I thought we should steer towards something neutral (think boring) to keep in visual harmony with the other rooms. So we ended up choosing a darkish neutral-ish khaki-brown from a color card from Martha Stewart’s paint collection.
Now I don't want to hurt anyone feelings here, but... we don’t trust Martha Steart for our paint. And besides, Homo Depot was having a sale on Behr paint!
What to do? We discovered with the help of Homo Depot's magical color-matching device we can get a Behr version of Martha Stewart’s color. GRRRR!!!!
SO we're able to have our color number MS096 aka “Chantarelle"

Now, I know the names of colors shouldn’t matter, but if we had chosen the nearest-matching of Behr’s colors, we would’ve ended up with “Brown Teepee.”
I am so much happier being able to say our walls are the color of Chantarelle. It sounds like a fine California wine, or a sophisticated drag queen, doesn’t it? Chantarelle's coming to the Roxy! Would you like a sip of my chantarelle?
Actually, I knew from the start that a chantarelle (apparently usually spelled chanterelle) is a highly-prized edible mushroom, and I thought, cool, I like mushrooms, and it is sort of a typical brown mushroomy color.
BUT THEN, out of curiosity, I looked online and discovered that chanterelles are not brown at all. They’re golden yellow:

What gives?!?
Martha, did you slip up? Martha?
Well I still think Chantarelle sounds better than Brown Teepee.
Surprisingly, under that single layer was the six-decade old original bare plaster walls of the house. It seems almost a crime to paint what has never been painted for sixty years; but the alternative (re-wallpapering) is simply not an option.
Even so, it’s going to be a big job. So far this week has been mostly preparation: putting up masking tape, etc. I might wait until my breathing gets better before I start opening cans of primer and paint.
Of course, the first big hurdle in any painting project is picking a color. It’s hard for Roger and I to agree on something in the first place; but even then, house paint colors can be tricky: when we have what looks like the perfect color on a little sample card, it ends looking a WHOLE lot different when it fills up the walls of an entire room. We’ve learned the hard way to choose the lighter and more muted version of what we think we would like, because the colors tend to look darker and more intense in the end.
This particular project is further complicated by the fact that the area I’ll be painting borders on almost every other room in the house, so I thought we should steer towards something neutral (think boring) to keep in visual harmony with the other rooms. So we ended up choosing a darkish neutral-ish khaki-brown from a color card from Martha Stewart’s paint collection.
Now I don't want to hurt anyone feelings here, but... we don’t trust Martha Steart for our paint. And besides, Homo Depot was having a sale on Behr paint!
What to do? We discovered with the help of Homo Depot's magical color-matching device we can get a Behr version of Martha Stewart’s color. GRRRR!!!!
SO we're able to have our color number MS096 aka “Chantarelle"
Now, I know the names of colors shouldn’t matter, but if we had chosen the nearest-matching of Behr’s colors, we would’ve ended up with “Brown Teepee.”
I am so much happier being able to say our walls are the color of Chantarelle. It sounds like a fine California wine, or a sophisticated drag queen, doesn’t it? Chantarelle's coming to the Roxy! Would you like a sip of my chantarelle?
Actually, I knew from the start that a chantarelle (apparently usually spelled chanterelle) is a highly-prized edible mushroom, and I thought, cool, I like mushrooms, and it is sort of a typical brown mushroomy color.
BUT THEN, out of curiosity, I looked online and discovered that chanterelles are not brown at all. They’re golden yellow:

What gives?!?
Martha, did you slip up? Martha?
Well I still think Chantarelle sounds better than Brown Teepee.
4 comments:
Brown Teepee reminds me of something else, I must say....but, then again, that's just my mind thinking outloud! I love the new color. And, you'll be glad to know that my cold is in full swing here too. Ugh.
Also better than brown peepee - not so very healthy, I would think. LOL
Come on - someone had to say it.
I love the color.. and I love that you are calling it chantarelle. They are fabulous little mushrooms.. I could see you even adding that one specimin's color to your walls as an accent (since you do love the orange color range so much!!)
xxooxx
Hmm. I do love the color orange; I do, I do. And though I know it's odd, but I am a fan of the fungi kingdom. So maybe it's only natural that I should hang up a little picture of a pretty golden-orange chanterelle mushroom in the hall when I'm done!
;-)
Post a Comment